Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials 2018, 30th August – 2nd September is one of the premier shows of the year and should not be missed. It is set in the beautiful grounds of Burghley House Stamford in the rolling Lincolnshire countryside. Alongside the magnificent horses and their riders there is a first class shopping experience to be enjoyed. Funky readers will be in their usual space on avenue C and are proud to be in attendance for their 3rd year.
THE HISTORY OF BURGHLEY HOUSE.
The history of Burghley House extends from the birth of William Cecil, 1st Lord Burghley in 1520. There is a fascinating time line which is as follows:
- 1520 birth of William Cecil, 1st Lord Burghley
- 1558 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 1.
- 1587 Completion of the building of Burghley
- 1588 The Spanish Armada is defeated.
- 1598 Death of William Cecil, 1st Lord Burghley
- 1603 Death of Queen Elisabeth 1.
- 1605 Thomas Cecil created 1st Earl of Exeter.
- 1642-1646 The Civil War.
- 1660 Restitution of the Monarchy-Charles 11 crowned
- 1679,1681 & 1699 5th Earl of Exeter`s journeys to the Continent. Huge expenses for the purchase of astonishing quantities of works of art
- 1700 5th Earl dies. Huge debts encumber the estate
- 1724 8th Earl marries Hannah Sophia Chambers, daughter of a Derby merchant and heiress to a large fortune.
- 1763 & 1768 9th earls journeys to Italy. Large purchases of fine art.
- 1801 10th earl raised to the rank of Marquess.
- 1815 Napoleon defeated by Wellington at Waterloo
- 1844 Queen Victoria and Prince Albert visit Burghley as guests of the 2nd Marquess.
- 1928 David Cecil, Lord Burghley wins Olympic Gold medal for hurdling.
- 1956 David Cecil inherits the title and becomes the 6th Marquess of Exeter.
- Mains electricity comes to Burghley house.1976 Lord Exeter founds the Burghley House Preservation Trust.
- 1988 Michael Cecil inherits the title and becomes the 8th Marquess of Exeter.
Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials 20182017 featured some fantastic moments and to whet your appetite for another great show we have presented a montage of the 4 days in September 2017.
There will be plenty of time to do some shopping at the fabulous shops spread around the show ground so please do pop in and see us and buy some of your favourite brands. We will Have Funkyreaders own brand reading glasses and sun reading glasses, IZIPIZI, I Need You our German brand with the ever popular Hangovers and new brands Doubleice and Sempre Art and much more!
So ciao for now!
Martin and Judith